Skip to main content
Egg head

I was somehow thinking, why a human never use his brain 100% ? Even during my schooldays, there was a Hong Kong comic making fool the readers that those "adiwira" can defeat their enemies by optimizing certain percentage of their brain usage. Kinda joke but somehow I manage to read them (of course, hardly to buy those things).

When I decided to pursue my graduate work on computer security, I was first surprised that previously I only knew that people who self proclaim themselves as researchers are not more that users who run applications. Now that I already knew that it needs significant amount of advanced mathematics to become a competent security researcher, I keep wondering whether we will be able to produce effective security based application developer.

There are several stuffs that I believe have to be mastered, networking, mathematics, psychology, laws and operating systems.

However, given that you want to focus on technical part, drop the psych and laws part. I am yet to see Malaysian's thesis on operating system thesis which focusing on security aspect, but I saw a person did his Phd on wireless security, another one on Spam mitigation in UVic Canada, several persons on cryptography, and one in UKM on anti virus core engine - and he did presented his work in Defcon Las Vegas.

Honestly I saw A LOT on intrusion detection.

I read for quite sometime ago an electronic article on Why not to research in computer security. Ironically, the article was being written by a person whom a security researcher as well! He was suggesting something else instead.

I think computer security in a way is an area for *applied research*, where you will deploy all those theoretical research such as string search - on IDS, machine learning - on malware detection and network traffic classification, Bayesian - on SPAM detection . So things like that.

When I was being interviewed by a Prof from Netherlands previously, he asked me - whether my research will be on application level or theoretical part. He is expecting theoretical part plus with hardware solution. Well, he did not update me with the result, so I guess the answer is a big NO.

EOF.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Danga Bay, Chevrolet Optra and bio...(eh?) I thought it was Debian(haha). My colleague point me to the AirAsia flight turbin and he told me, "Macam debian punya logo" I saw a spiral on top the turbin blades. Pretty much like Debian Logo That's spark me to shoot for a pix. And I was warned by the airport staff. Uh,uh. Flash lamp will spark burst,eh? I was presented my "mock" research proposal. Suggested "Profiling Bioinformatics Application Behavior on Distributed Computing Architecture". Eh, will this gonna be bioinformatics specific or hardware optimization specific.or? Flashback: I spent almost a week at the office. When it's Subh azan,went back to my house for bath and pray. Reading all the journals and papers was not funny,really. Tough eye balls. No world cup. Ewh. And have some VCD lure. Uh,uh. you gonna be kidding. Anyway, I learned a lot and UTM SLAB Research Course is no joke. Really. My proposal has been corrected with comments so I have
Gue dengan S2 gue. Sronok banget!